Thursday, May 15, 2014

Ready to start adding some info

And so it begins....this is the result of my research on the Guffey connection in my family tree. I may not get it all on here in one session but this will begin the history portion of the research. The tree will probably be posted on the website as it is large and static.

There are several lines of Guffey's traceable in the USA
The first is of course our line of the Guffey Surname
We will refer to them as -
Line 1)- Descended from John MaGUFFIE/Maguffee of 1640 who settled in old Rappahannock Co. (now Essex Co.), VA. Many of his descendants moved into Pittsylvania Co., VA. where the name was spelled "McGUFFEY" until the late 1790s when they relocated to KY. then to TN. and later on to MO. When they left VA., the patrynomic designator, "Mc", was dropped and became known as "GUFFEY". One grandson of John Maguffee moved into N.C., and their name was then spelled McGUFFEY and continues to be spelled that way today.

Lines 2 & 3) Descended from John and Henry GUFFEY who settled in Rutherford and Rowan Cos., N.C. The many GUFFEYs who settle in that region descended from these two men. Two of this John's grandsons moved to McMinn Co., TN. and a large number of GUFFEYs live in that area and descended from this line also.

Line 4 & 5) Descended from William GUFFEY b. 1698 in Scotland or Alexander GUFFY b. 1750 in Scotland. They settled in Pennsylvania: Westmoreland and Northumberland Cos. respectively.

Line 6) Descended from James GUFFIE and his wife, Margaret KEARN GUFFEY. This family is well documented because two of the children fought in the Revolutionary War and filed for pensions based upon that service. Those descendants settled in Indiana, Ohio and central KY (Butler & Logan Cos.)

It has been estimated that probably as many as 90% of the people with the last name Guffey in the US come from one of these lines.

And again I give a huge thank you to Mr A Joseph Guffey who did so much research on the Guffey family before he passed away. He left an incredible legacy!

I have tried during this process to not use any information that I could not verify through some kind of official record, such as a census report, will, land grant etc. I believe the information is accurate but if you see an error please let me know, typing is not a true 'talent' it is merely a 'skill' for me and typos abound in my work, if you believe I have someone in the wrong place please let me know and we will discuss it. I have the records in my files on Ancestry and Family Tree Maker on my computer and we can review, I make no claims to perfection.

I will only be posting from now on on "Line 1" as that is the only line I researched. Someone may connect them all at some point and then I will put them all in my records but until then it's just too overwhelming!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy!
    Welcome to the world of blogging and sharing your family history. I'm not a newcomer to blogging but just started putting up my family history information this year also. (We have quilting in common too!)

    Not that I want to cause you to hyperventilate or anything by suggesting something that might be overwhelming, but if you use Wordpress as your blogging platform, you can have both your pages and your posts in one place.

    Good luck with your new endeavor. Oh, and congratulations on the newest edition to your family.

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is all new and I am open to suggestions!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to Geneabloggers Kathy! Looks like you're off to a great start. The beautiful picture in your header makes me want to follow that trail. Good luck with your research and congrats on the birth of Miss Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it is always nice to meet another person who knows the proper way to spell Kathryn!

      Delete