Saturday, February 8, 2014

Some Surnames

I am just going to post this paragraph of names that I compiled for another project.  These are the names on the Pleve chart for the Kiehn side of the family.  Doctor Igor Pleve, his wife and daughter do the research on the records that are to be found in Russia.  Dr. Pleve is a historian and Director of Education in Saratov Russia (University of Saraov).  These archives from the villages along the Volga River are now kept in the kind of condition that museums in America would use, at least it sounds like that to me from my reading.  If any of these are yours and you would like for me to see if I can find them in our family and tell you who they married etc. I would be more than happy to do so, leave a message in the comments .

Amend, Bastron, Bauer, Baum, Behr, Bischoff, Borgens, Burkhardt, Eckhardt, Eisenach, Finder, Frank, Freitag, Frickle, Frick, Fox, Fuchs, Gettmann, Guenther, Goetz, Grosskopf, Guggenheim, Harding, Hartung, Hein, Herbst, Hirsch, Hofferber, Hoff, Hoffman, Hock, Hope, Hundzinger, Jordan, Kammerzell, Kasiska, Kaufmann, Kindsvater, Kissler, Kister, Klein, Klippert, Kroening, Lebsack, Lesser, Lichtenwold, Lobe, Loebsack, Meier, Manwellwe, Meininger, Mueller, Nordloh, Pemuiprjevauck, Rothe, Ruppel, Schaefer, Schaug, Schlager, Schmidt, Schneider, Schneidermiller, Schoessler, Schumacher, Sell, Slagle, Sloner, Soder, Stoerckel, Strassheim, Stroh, Thiel, Trupp, Thue, Uhrich, Vollweiler, Vorhees, Wacker, Wagner, Walter, Weber, Weidmann, Weiss, Winter, Wolfe, Wolsborn, Zeiler, Zitzmann, 

Of course these are the families that the Kiehns married into or they married into the Kiehns.  The list may not be complete but it is close!  

My immediate Kiehns came into the country in 1906 and moved to Ritzville, WA.  This is a picture of Ritzville from that time.
 
 Look closely at all those bags.  Ritzville was the largest wheat producer in the nation, still is up there in the top places.  When I went there to see the place my grandfather was born I was just blown away by the miles and miles of wheat fields.  It was almost eerie, we stopped the car and in all 4 directions you could see nothing but wheat fields!  Ritzville is home to a lot of Volga Germans and nearby Odessa is the same way.  We drove to Odessa and they have signs welcoming you in German.  That paragraph of names could have been pulled off the gravestones in the Ritzville Cemetery.  Someday maybe I'll find out why my grandfathers family moved to Colorado, when the rest of the Kiehns stayed in WA for awhile, and we never went to visit them or talked about them.  Not particularly strange - these Volga Germans didn't talk much about anything like that.  I may never know but it is fun to speculate!

No comments:

Post a Comment